Wednesday 9 November 2011

Hold my hand

Having two toddlers means having one little in each one of your big hands. Without a third hand it means you need to be extra creative in the way you manage your toddlers when you are out and about especially when you are trying to get them into the car. My number one tip is to teach them as soon as you can that they MUST hold your hand when you go out. If they let go to wander off then stop, take hold of their hand, don't let go and say in an assertive voice that you won't be going any further until they hold your hand.
You may feel like you are sounding like the biggest bossy boots on the planet but I think to myself I'd prefer to sound bossy than have something happen to them.  I gaurantee there will be tantrums at first. You will be left there with a screaming child or two... if they both have the same idea at the same time... laying on the ground refusing do budge...aaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!.
I live in a unit and have to take my toddlers down to the car using a common driveway (where the danger of cars is always an issue) and have used this technique and it seems to be working. They even reach up for my hand automatically to take hold of it when we are out. I promise you though that it doesn't work all the time...they are only toddlers.BUT I am sticking to this technique and hope it pays off!

No comments:

Post a Comment